David heads our Competition and Anti-trust Practice in Saudi Arabia. He advises clients on a wide range of competition related matters, including merger control, distribution, cartels, restrictive practices and investigations. David’s area of practice also includes international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic corporate transactions. He is active in advising both Saudi Arabian and foreign clients on a broad range of corporate and M&A matters, including acquisitions and joint ventures.
David is ranked as a leading corporate lawyer in Saudi Arabia by IFLR1000 and in Bahrain by Legal 500.
Representative clients, cases or matters
- Advising Mohamed Yousuf Naghi Motors Company Ltd in (i) the acquisition of all assets from Al Jazirah Vehicles Agencies Company in connection with the Ford and Lincoln distributorship in the Western and South regions of Saudi Arabia and (ii) the negotiation and execution of the distribution arrangements with Ford and Lincoln in these regions.
- Advising Almarai Company in relation to their acquisition of 100% of Premier Foods from Alamar Foods CJSC.
- Advising Taiba Holding Company in relation to (i) the restructuring of its group resulting in Taiba Holding Company holding 100% in Al-Aqeeq Real Estate Development Company (Al-Aqeeq) and 99.52% in Arab Resort Areas Company (ARAC) and (ii) the merger control by filing an application with the General Authority for Competition to obtain their clearance.
- Advising the VFS Group in relation to an acquisition of Al Etimad Modern Business Solutions Company (“Etimad”), Modern Traveler Services Company (“Vega”) and Abyaar Modern Commercial Services Limited (“Abyaar”) by VF Worldwide Holdings Ltd. and VF Services (UK) Limited.
- Advising Alawwal Bank on the merger control process in connection with its merger with The Saudi British Bank (SABB), in a share for share merger valued at approximately USD 4.9 billion.
- Acting for Al Safi Holding, one of Al Faisaliah Group’s companies, on M&A and merger control matters in relation to the sale of its shares in Al Safi Danone Company (ASD), producer of dairy and juice products, to Saudi Arabia's National Agricultural Development Co. (NADEC).
- Acting for a multinational consumer goods company in relation to the preparation and filing of its merger control application with the General Authority for Competition for their contemplated acquisition of two renowned soap brands from an American multinational consumer goods company.
- Acting for a Swiss food group in relation to the first international merger control filing made with the Council of Competition in connection with its US$ 11.85 billion acquisition of an entire global nutrition business.
- Advising multinational suppliers and distributors in relation to Saudi competition laws matters (e.g. prohibited practices, exclusivity, RPM, information sharing).
- Advising a Saudi Arabian telecom company in relation to the transfer of its telecom towers to a wholly owned subsidiary and a potential participation with another telecom operator.
- Assisting an on-demand cloud computing platforms company in relation to the set up of a presence in Saudi Arabia for hosting data servers and conducting Cloud Computing Services.
- Acting for a German insurance group in connection with its bid for the acquisition of an insurance business in the Middle East.
- Acting for a Saudi Arabian IT company in relation to the potential acquisition of an IT group in the Middle East.
- Assisting a foreign investor in connection with the US$ 300 million disposal of its stake in a Saudi Arabian oil distribution company.
- Acting for a Saudi Arabian state owned oil company in the development, structuring and financing of a joint venture to build and operate a US$ 20 billion, worldwide integrated refining and petrochemical complex in Jubail, Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a Governmental authority in connection with a proposed large scale multi-billion dollar industrial venture in Saudi Arabia.
- Representing one of the Saudi Arabian state owned oil company in connection with the US$ 1.3 billion merger of the fleet and operations of one of its wholly owned subsidiaries, with a third party shipping company.
- Advising several foreign companies in relation to the incorporation of joint-ventures with Saudi Arabian partners, assisting them with the negotiation of distribution agreements, licensing agreements and services agreements.
Admissions and Professional affiliations
- C.A.P.A. – Paris Bar School
- C.R.F.P.A. – Institute of Legal Studies of Paris I (La Sorbonne)
- D.E.S.S. (postgraduate course) International Business Law
- Business Law Institute – Faculty of Law – Aix-Marseille III University
- LLM in International Business Law
- German (Academic level)